I love a good basic meal; one with a couple ingredients that are easy to fetch from the farm. Up here on Gatski Mountain, there’s abundant milk, butter and of course, sausage. Sausage & Biscuits is a favorite. I like to serve it with some seasonal greens sauteed in garlic. I understand that Sausage & Biscuits is an old world tradition- I’m hoping I can coax a few “tricks” out of those of you with family recipes. Psstt…. Would love a tip on how to get biscuits to rise more. Please do share in the comments.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- combine 2 cups flour, 1.5 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspon salt in bowl- then cut 5 to 6 tablespoons of butter into mixture.
- use your fingers to incorporate the butter into the flour [until the largest pieces are about the size of a pea] add about 3/4 cup milk and stir until soft dough is formed- knead enough to shape and turn onto a floured board
- roll out 1/2″ thick and cut- I use a water glass or ball jar. put on baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.
- Cook your sausage in a pan [add 1-2 cups water] – remove from pan when complete.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of flour in a cup of milk or water. Add slowly to the sausage pan, stirring to make your “gravy.” It should thicken quickly.
- Put biscuits on plate and top off with sausage and gravy.
That’s it! It is so simple.